Who Am I?
List Of Projects (In Order Of Greatness)
- Words Prevail - A way to send out a message if something happens to you. I've always been obsessed with the idea of leaving one last message to the people in my life but I felt leaving a letter in an envelope wasn't good enough.
(Unfortunately, as of around July, my FastMail subscription expired and I don't have the money to renew it, so this project will be postponed indefinitely and will probably be on here until then.)
- Random Question Of The Day - A blog. My first real foray into blogging with Wordpress and I'm really finding it gratifying. (Abandoned)
- Do It! Prove It! - A social media interpretation of Real Life Achievements
- Q (Formerly Root Basis) - A way to track time easily and efficiently. I use it every day and it's pretty simple. I hope to expand this in to an all encompassing quantification tool, but I'm waiting until I receive more interest.
(Mostly abandoned but I'm still mildly interested in doing something with this eventually.)
- Friend Game - This started as a project for Weird Game Jam. The premise is two people are matched up and try to make friends using only emojis. The reality is that nearly all projects fail because I have no audience. You can check it out but most likely, no one will be there to match with you.
- Zombie Infection - Made this for a game jame in April 2016. Think it's pretty good actually. The controls could be smoother but it's pretty solid.
- Minority Maze - I made this before Zombie Infection. You can totally tell. =)
- Minesweeper - A not so good Minesweeper implementation.
Random Facts About Taqfu
taqfu is not my original handle. Around 2012, I abandoned my original handle. I had been using that since 1999 when I began playing Ultima Online. (Ultima Online was truly one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.)
taqfu wasn't originally supposed to be a handle. I wanted a short domain name. Five characters is the minimum number of letters you can still hope to find something coherent and I used a website that checks to see if random domain names are avaiable.
My first webpage was created around 1998. I had created a page for Ultima Online and used it to update my adventures (or lack thereof). At that time, I thought that web development was just basic HTML and since I'm not visually oriented, I abandoned it pretty quickly.
My first real foray into web development began because I was trying to create a Reddit clone. It was probably 2011. I got this idea in my head that I would create a Reddit clone. My version of Reddit was less democratic and more capitalistic. I introduced scarcity into the Reddit model. So rather than an infinite amount of subreddits, there were a scarce amount of subreddits that were opened up on a regular basis, making it to where people had to compete for control of the subreddits and rather a vote based system, it was more like a bid or auction based system.
I genuinely fear the mobile hegemony. In many ways, I feel like I'm running to catch a train going nowhere. PHP is a universally disrespected language. Web development is far less important than mobile development. Obviously, the wise thing to do would be to abandon my web development for mobile development, but then I fear that I would just be jumping from one tech stack to another, trying to stay relevant and ultimately failing to be competent in anything.
I'm overflowing with ideas. I know implementation matters more than ideas but I'm truly inspired by my work. It seems like nearly every other day I'm coming up with new programming projects or business ideas. In the past, I used to agonize over ways to make money. Ultimately, none of them were really pursued because they all required the same thing: work. There was no easy solution to economic mediocrity. It was Elon Musk who changed things for me. It became less about how do I make money to how do I solve a problem in my life that could possibly create an economic advantage for me. Solving problems comes naturally to me. Working for the sake of working does not.
- On December 13, 2016, my reddit account was suspended for three days. This kinda put the kibosh on my promotion of Random Question Of The Day. Not sure where else I can promote it.
- This text only format (as of 08/02/17) is very purposeful. There's something that I've always found really beautiful about a text only format. For a while, I was using lynx to browse the web and while limiting, I enjoyed that aesthetic.
- As of 02/19/18, I've decided to go away from the text only aesthetic, mainly as an exercise to learn more web design and front end.
- I aspire to work 12 hours per day every day to eventually become wealthy. I fail a lot at this and I'm okay with that.